Sunday, March 2, 2014

Stuffed-to-the-Brim Spaghetti Squash

* If you enjoy this recipe and would like to continue finding more wonderful, weekly recipes at the Gourmet Weekday, please support our local business and pick up your very own veggies4u box, which is stuffed with the fresh vegetable ingredients you need to make the recipes you find here into reality. 

 Have you noticed how trendy spaghetti squash is these days?  I see it everywhere on Pinterest, other people's blogs, and all over social media.  My first response to this posh squash was that it was a sneaky intruder, trying to be a pasta in a world where, let's be honest, pasta stands unrivaled.

But I finally broke down and decided to give spaghetti squash a shot.  I didn't want to miss out on all the hooplah.  Now this was before veggies4u had gotten started and I wasn't an insider in the produce world, so I went to the grocery store, picked out a small spaghetti squash (just to play it safe), and proceeded to checkout only to have my prized produce ring in at just over $9.00.  NINE DOLLARS, my friends. I stood in shock for a moment, turned to the people behind me in line, who advised me to ditch it and run in quiet, advisory grumbles, and said sorry and walked away, defeated.  I could not justify paying $9.00 for a tiny little old squash - that's the equivalent of two quarts of ice cream, after all.

I said all of that to bring myself to this: You received a lovely golden spaghetti squash in your veggie box this week, and you do not have to choose between it and ice cream because it did not cost you an arm and a leg. Even more importantly, I have a recipe for your squash that you will adore, drool over, and delight in.  And you will only dirty 1 dish. Stuffed-to-the-Brim Spaghetti Squash - what I now consider to be the poshest of produce. 



Here's what you need:

  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tomato, cubed
  • 4 oz tomato sauce - I love Newman's Own: Italian Sausage
  • Fresh rosemary
  • Crumbled Feta
Now, before you get started, let me add that the best thing about spaghetti squash is that you can stuff it with anything. Mix and match the sauces, the cheeses, the spices, and the veggies you chop up to throw in it.  I was craving a rich tomato dish, and so I went with the more traditional "spaghetti."

How to do it:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Cut your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds and innards with an ice cream scoop or spoon.
  2. Place both halves in a roasting pan or on a cookie sheet face-up and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast for 40-50 minutes, or until the flesh is tender when you stick a fork in it.
  3. Here's the fun part: Take your fork and shred the squash. Just have at it; there's no special way to go about it.  As you shred, the squash will magically turn into what looks like spaghetti! It's really pretty exciting. 
  4. Here's what it will look like roasted: Shredded on the left, whole on the right.
  5. Once you've shredded all that you can shred, add the sauce and tomato and mix right inside the shell of the squash.  Then, top with fresh rosemary and crumbled feta and serve! 

The verdict: I loved making this dish.  It makes the perfect meal for when you have had a long day and do not want to stand in the kitchen chopping, sauteeing, mixing, or whipping. The prep time is about 5 minutes total.  It was entirely delicious and after eating, I didn't even have to unbutton the top of my jeans.  I guess that means I'm pretty much a health nut.

Much love,

Deidre


Husband Approval Rating





2 comments: