Sunday, March 16, 2014

Baked Potato Soup, Skinny Style

Baked potato soup is a beautiful thing.  The flavors of hearty russet potatoes, creamy milk and cheese, and crunchy bacon commingle in perfect harmony on your soup spoon.  But one of the drawbacks of this oh-so-good combinations is that it's, well.... it's super high in calories and fat.  Oh, the tastiest foods always are.

But I have a solution: Cauliflower.  Yep, that white broccoli copycat that you never quite know how to prepare will become the creamy base for your baked potato soup.  And trust me friends, you will love it. And you needn't even feel guilty after indulging.

I thank Skinnytaste for the delightful recipe I am about to share with you.  P.S. it's SO simple!

What you need:

  • 2 large russet potatoes
  • 1 small cauliflower crown, cut into florets
  • 1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth (low sodium if you're feeling really health-nutty)
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • Sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
  • 10 tbsp reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar, but I think next time I'll try yellow for a more colorful pop!)
  • 6 tbsp chopped chives (Scallions for me - shame on me for not knowing the difference)
  • 3 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (Turkey bacon would be healthier, but I used regular old bacon to avoid my husband starting a revolt)
What to do:
  1. Bake those potatoes. Pop 'em in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour or so, or if you're in a hurry, you can microwave them by piercing a couple holes in each with a fork, wrapping them in a damp paper towel, and cooking for 7-10 minutes. After the potatoes cool, peel them.
  2. While your potatoes cook, steam the cauliflower.  This should take about 15-20 minutes. Drain water out of pot, and then return the cauliflower to it.
  3. Add the chicken broth, milk, and potatoes to the pot with the cauliflower and bring to a boil over medium heat.  If you have an immersion blender, blend the mixture until it is smooth.  If you don't, you can do what I did and pile it into your blender. It'll get the job done.
  4. Return to the pot.  Add sour cream, half of the chopped chives (or scallions), and salt and pepper and cook on low for another 5-10 minutes.
  5. Remove soup from heat and dish it out. Top each bowl with cheese, chives, and bacon, and serve! (Telling your family the soup has cauliflower? Optional.)
Yum, yum, yum.  Let me tell you something unbelievable: my husband knew there was cauliflower in this soup, and he still went back for seconds and THIRDS.  Who needs cream when you can have cauliflower?

Much love,
Deidre

No comments:

Post a Comment