Thursday, March 6, 2014

Spinach Lasagna Rolls with Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce

This week has been cold, hasn't it? I don't know about you, but March is a time of chilly frigidness in my life when I can't function properly because all I can do is dream about eating hot, comforting food at home.  The month of March safely falls somewhere between the dead of winter and bikini season, where it's still acceptable to have a repertoire of cheesy pastas and hot, creamy soups on the weekly dinner line-up without an ounce of guilt that you have added a whole stick of butter to that Alfredo sauce or that you just poured cream on your cereal because you ran out of milk.  You won't have to be seen in your skivvies in public for at least 3 more months.
When I knew that I would be making this recipe the other night, I daydreamed about it all day long.  As the icy wind thrashed my hair on my way to my car, I smiled and imagined heavenly ricotta.  As I carried groceries across a sub-arctic parking lot, I pictured warm lasagna noodles ready to be stuffed. And as I shook snow out of my boot that was forming a cold puddle in my sock.... well, then I was just mad.  But the point is, when I got home I took only enough time to change into my yoga pants before I got cooking.
I found this incredible recipe on SkinnyTaste, and oh, what a beautiful thing it is.  As I am writing this, I'm considering the types of words I'm using to describe food and wondering if maybe you think it's a little dramatic, a little "too-much." After careful consideration myself, however, I think not.  Cooking is an art form, and I think it should be treated with all the exclamation as a fine Picasso. Plus, it's edible, which is always a perk.
You'll be happy to know that while I'm suffering from whole-stick-a-butter-and-don't-care syndrome, this recipe is full of nutrients and is indeed health (and thigh) conscious.

Here's what you need:

  • 1 lb butternut squash
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup onion
  • 2 cloves fresh, minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 10 oz fresh chopped spinach
  • 15 oz fat free Ricotta cheese 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbs fresh parsley
What to do: 
  1. The first matter of business is to get that butternut squash peeled.  Butternut is my frenemy.  I love its rich, almost pumpkin-like smooth flavor, but getting into it is a real feat.  Usually I let my husband whack at it with the big knife, but he wasn't around when I made this.  Don't be scared.  Start by peeling it with a carrot peeler.  Then, use the biggest knife you own and split it down the middle. Watch out for fingers.  Once it's split, scoop out the innards and chop into small cubes. You did it!
  2. Get some water boiling for your lasagna while you're chopping the butternut.  Once your lasagna noodles are soft, lay them out on paper towels to make sure they are dry when you need them later.  
  3. Boil the butternut until it is very soft.  Drain, being careful to reserve about 1/4 cup of the liquid.  If you have an immersion blender, you can blend the butternut with the liquid in the same pot.  I do not, so I simply put it into the blender.
  4. While blending the butternut, heat a large skillet and saute the garlic and onions over medium-low heat until they are a nice golden brown.  Then, add the butternut puree, a healthy dash of Parmesan, and salt and pepper and mix.  Set the sauce aside.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a 9 X 12 baking dish, smooth out about half of the butternut sauce. 
  6. Mix Parmesan, ricotta, spinach, egg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until evenly combined.  
  7. Spoon a thin layer of the cheese and spinach mixture onto the length of one of the lasagna noodles.  Starting at one end, carefully roll it up.  Place the lasagna roll seam-side down in the baking dish.  Do this until you have rolled up all of your noodles. Be sure to reserve a little extra cheese mixture.
  8. Top your lasagna rolls each with a dollop of butternut sauce, and then a spoonful of cheese mixture.
  9. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.  Top with fresh parsley and serve!


 My husband was dubious when I first told him about this recipe.  But when it came out of the oven, he said, "Mmm, smells good." When he took his first bite, he took a contemplative look and said, "Hmm, that's a different flavor." And after about 3 bites, he had decided he loved it and the rolls were scarfed up in the blink of eye. The moral of this story? a.) You can trick your family into meatless Mondays (just don't tell them what you're doing) and b.) Just because something is way different than anything you've ever tried in the kitchen before doesn't mean it isn't devour-worthy.  Spice it up, friends!



Much love,

Deidre



No comments:

Post a Comment