Thursday, March 27, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower, Pecan, and Sage Risotto

Oh my dear.  I had never tasted risotto before my experience with this recipe from Donna Hay's blog.  I cannot believe how outrageously good it is.  There is something about roasting things that brings out their soul-warming flavor and fills you up with good thoughts.  I broke what my mother described as "The Cardinal Rule of Hostessing" with this risotto: I made a recipe I had never tried before (ok, a food I had never even tried before) and served it to a guest.  Luckily I cater to lovely guests who would tell me my cooking was delicious even if they were choking it down.  But I think this time, it was definitely the real deal!

Rice isn't exactly my friend.  I am surprised how long it takes to reach al dente every single time I cook it.  It boils and simmers and I stir and stir, and the liquid evaporates and I add more and the rice is STILL all stubborn and crunchy.  The recipe I used suggests aborio rice. To be honest, I still don't know what aborio is but I do know that I used brown and, although it was delicious, it took nearly a lifetime to cook.  So if you know what aborio rice is and you have some, for goodness sake, use it!

Besides the rice mystery, this risotto is quick, easy, and - as my grandmother always used to say - scrumpt-diddly-umptious.  I really think she said it best.

What you'll need:

  • 1/2 crown of cauliflower
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cupped chopped pecans
  • 1 bunch sage
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups aborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry (or any red wine you find in the cupboard, really)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan 
What to do: 
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss together oil, salt, pepper, and cauliflower until evenly coated and then lie flat on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, and then add the pecans and half of your sage and cook another 5-8 minutes or until everything is golden-brown and crispy. Set aside. 
  2. Pour chicken stock into a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.  In another, large saucepan, melt butter and saute chopped onion until soft. Then, add the rest of the sage, the rice, and the sherry and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sherry is absorbed.  You'll know it's absorbed when your onions turn red and there is no liquid left in the pan. 
  3. Next, using a ladle, scoop a cup of chicken stock at a time and gradually stir it into the rice mixture until you have added all of the chicken stock.  Stir continuously - about 25-30 minutes is you have the quick-cooking stuff, and a painstaking lifetime if you are like me with the brown rice - until the stock is absorbed and the rice is soft.  
  4. Mix in the Parmesan and top with roasted cauliflower, pecan, and sage mixture. Voila!  A beautiful, gourmet side dish for your weeknight meal!
I served my risotto with pork chops roasted in a honey glaze and a crisp Caprese salad to invigorate the taste buds with a fresh snap on top of all that savory yumminess.  Add a little meat to this risotto and you've got yourself a main dish. Enjoy!
Much love,
Deidre

2 comments:

  1. Scrumpt-diddly-umptious! Love it! And love risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aborio rice is a short grained starchy rice. The extra starch in the rice adds an additional creaminess to the risotto. This recipe sounds amazing! I plan on giving it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete