Thursday, August 7, 2014

Summer Steak Tip Salad with Dijon Dressing

Honesty is the best policy, so I think it's only right that I be straight up and tell you that this post was actually supposed to be for a different salad.  This salad included chunks of caramelized pears and pecans, crumbles of Gorgonzola, and spicy little baby arugula (my new favorite green!). It looked incredible and super gourmet but the fact is - I destroyed it. My husband forgot to bring home the arugula, so I replaced the green with spinach. He also could not find pecans - but I had a few almonds shoved in the back of my cupboard that I salvaged. Most horrifyingly, I burnt the caramel for the pears and discovered this fact only after I dropped all of the pears into the concoction, said, "What is that vile smell?" and tasted a chunk, only to feel like vomiting. 

So... there it is. I was forced to be a little innovative last night, like we all sometimes must. Luckily, my fridge was jam-packed with fresh fruit and berries, and I was still able to make the delicious dressing that the original salad called for. 

I have found in my first year of marriage that the only sure-fire way to ensure that my husband will eat a salad without complaint is to throw some meat on top of it. This rule especially applies when the salad is the main course. For this reason, steak tips have become my best friend. They are quick-cooking, blend well with a vast variety of flavors, and are reliably delicious.  And let me tell you, I was glad to have them to hold my salad all together last night.


So here's the recipe for my new, spur-of-the-moment Summer Steak Tip Salad. Serve with the homemade Dijon dressing (original recipe here) or a light raspberry vinaigrette.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups chopped spinach
  • 1 chopped red delicious apple
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup almonds, pecans, or walnuts
  • 3/4 lb steak tips, sliced into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 tbs olive oil
For the dressing
  • 1 tbs Dijon mustard
  • 3 tbs red wine or red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat until sizzling. Add steak to pan and saute 2-3 minutes on each side, or until it has reached desired temperature. My husband the Spicemaster helped here, and added a secret variety of spices which he never revealed.  My advice here is to just add lots of cracked black pepper, and then anything else you love to give it a juicy flavor kick.
  2. Meanwhile, chop spinach, apple, and strawberries and layer ingredients in a large bowl. Top with the blueberries.
  3. When steak is cooked, remove from pan with tongs and transfer onto the salad. Sprinkle with feta cheese and almonds.
  4. The dressing can be made in advance, but I prefer it fresh as can be, and it's easy to whip up. Just add all the ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk together. Taste test before serving - I decided to go a little heavier on the wine (surprise, surprise) to make sure the Dijon was not too overpowering. Serve on the side or drizzle over the top of the salad. 
Much to my delight, after I served my husband a large plate of this salad (which I overloaded with steak in an effort to ease the pain of having salad for dinner), he reached back into the bowl with the tongs and gave himself a hearty helping of spinach and said, "What? I gotta get my greens." 

Despite the original salad recipe being a flop, I was pleased with the way this one turned out. The sweet and savory combination of flavors made it satisfying and summery. And my husband finished it off after devouring his first serving, scooping out every last bit of healthiness out of the bowl. And so there you have it - men can eat just salad for dinner. 

Happy cooking,

Deidre

No comments:

Post a Comment