Sunday, February 16, 2014

Stove-top Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

This soup is the greatest soup of all time.  I made a huge pot of it on the snow day on Thursday because it is so comforting and just lovely all around.  The things I love about it most are a.) You can stuff it to the brim with completely fresh vegetables and herbs, b.) Making the melted buttery roux, which seems just magical to me and c.) That it is hearty enough to make even my husband groan about how full he is.

The recipe says that it makes 2 quarts, or about 8 servings.  Since there were only two of us eating, I tried to cut back a little on all the ingredients.  However, I have a teensy problem with soup - I go crazy and just throw everything I can find into it.  Add that to my lacking fraction skills and you end up with one huge pot of soup. Oh well - I ate some for lunch on Friday and some more today, and it was equally delicious!

*This recipe is adapted from Today'sMama.

So here's what you need:


  • 3 cups diced tomatoes with juice (I have tried it with fresh AND canned tomatoes.  Do what you want - they're both amazing.  But my vote is that fresh is always better!)
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1 cup finely diced onions
  • 1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 Tsp dried
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (Ok, mine was from a plastic container. So what?)
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 Tsp dried
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups half and half (You can use milk for a lighter version)
  • 1 tsp salt
Before moving on, I have to be honest.  I am all for always making a healthier version, and I encourage you to do so most of the time, too.  But on my cold, snowy day stuck in the house, I wanted nothing more than a hearty, cream-filled soup and I didn't care how many fat calories it took to get there.  That being said, I used the butter, and created my own half & half by mixing my fresh cream with milk.  Yeah, so worth it.

  1. Heat your oil in a large soup pot.  Add the celery, onions, and carrots and saute them for 5 or 6 minutes.  Then, add basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, and chicken broth.  Bring everything to a nice rolling boil, and then reduce to low heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
  2. While the soup simmers, it's time to make the roux (yay!).  Melt the butter over low heat.  When it's melted, add the flour and stir constantly until it's smooth (about 5 minutes).  Then, slowly stir in 1 cup of hot soup.  Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.  Add back into the soup pot.
  3. Simmer, stirring constantly, until soup beings to thicken.  Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend.  Stir in half & half and salt and pepper.  Simmer over low heat 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Voila! You have a gorgeous tomato bisque soup that will warm you from the tips of your toes to the top of your head.  I served mine with a spinach salad, but some fresh bread would be another wonderful side to complete the meal.  

Much love, 

Deidre

No comments:

Post a Comment